Saturday, June 16, 2012

Language - drifting around the world

I recently learnt that the fruit known as the chickoo in North India and sapota in South India is called ‘chicozapota’ in its native Mexico!

One of the other fascinating discoveries in my life has been the knowledge that many things with the sound "chi" in their name came from China! So we have:
  1. The Lychee - native to southern China and South East Asia
  2. Daal-chini - which I have always translated as cinnamon but apparently what is native to China is the Cassia. Cassia is generally a thicker bark with darker coloration, though is often confused with cinnamon. I don't know which one is actually used at home, but at some point its name source is definitely Chinese.  
  3. Chenab -  In popular lore, the river got its name because its source was assumed to be somewhere over the mountains in China (Chin-ab - Waters of China)*
I don't understand why cheeni is cheeni though (I mean sugar, not a Chinese person).
___________________________________________________________________________________
*The other story for the origin of the name of the river is its tributaries, Chandra and Bhaga, which have their confluence at the village of Tandi. I like Chin-ab better. 

2 comments:

  1. ah, that's fascinating! never knew any of this. "chai" and "tea" also originate from different regions of China.

    googled for the origin of "cheeni" and came across this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6764089

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chai! Of course! I knew I was forgetting something. And the sugar info is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete