Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Lady Mondegreen.

Mondegreen is a misheard word or a phrase (most often in a song) that still makes sense, though not the original sense.

"Sylvia Wright coined the word ‘mondegreen’ in an article published in Harper's Magazine in November 1954, ‘The Death of Lady Mondegreen’. ‘When I was a child,’ she wrote, ‘my mother used to read aloud to me from Percy's Reliques [of Ancient English Poetry]. One of my favorite poems began, as I remember:Ye Highlands and ye Lowlands,Oh, where hae ye been?They hae slain the Earl Amurray, [sic]And Lady Mondegreen.’‘By now,’ she went on, after a digression or two,several of you more alert readers are jumping up and down in your impatience to interrupt and point out that, according to the poem, after they killed the Earl Amurray, they laid him on the green. I know about this, but I won’t give in to it. Leaving him to die all alone without even anyone to hold his hand—I won’t have it. The point about what I shall hereafter call mondegreens, since no one else has thought up a word for them, is that they are better than the original."

The above explanation is from a medical journal and has a most interesting collection of words that I've come across.

Wiki and the internet have a whole series of mondegreens. A few of my favourites below:

France is Bacon via TYWKIWDBI

[–]Lard_Baron 3891 points  ago
sorry, this has been archived and can no longer be voted on
When I was young my father said to me:
"Knowledge is Power....Francis Bacon"
I understood it as "Knowledge is power, France is Bacon".
For more than a decade I wondered over the meaning of the second part and what was the surreal linkage between the two? If I said the quote to someone, "Knowledge is power, France is Bacon" they nodded knowingly. Or someone might say, "Knowledge is power" and I'd finish the quote "France is Bacon" and they wouldn't look at me like I'd said something very odd but thoughtfully agree. I did ask a teacher what did "Knowledge is power, France is bacon" meant and got a full 10 minute explanation of the Knowledge is power bit but nothing on "France is bacon". When I prompted further explanation by saying "France is Bacon?" in a questioning tone I just got a "yes". at 12 I didn't have the confidence to press it further. I just accepted it as something I'd never understand.
It wasn't until years later I saw it written down that the penny dropped.


Bob Dylan's strange lyrics - Dead ants are my friends, they're blowin' in the wind

On TV, during Olympics - Hung Aryan Swimmers

And two from the family
The Bally Sagoo Aaja Nachle cassette in its heyday, was quite a favourite with the kids and was played repeatedly on long, family trips, and for three young boys, this is how two of the songs went -

O mundeyo aa gayi oi,
sir tey gagar rakhin
(Look boys, there she comes,
With a pitcher on her head)

The brothers' version:
O mundeyo aa gayi oi,
Sir bacha key rakhin!
(Watchout boys, here she comes,
Don't lose your heads now!)

The original:
Preeto dey ghar da bhabhi,
Kunda kharka baitha
(I knocked on the doors of Preeto's house)

The brothers' version:
Preeto dey ghar da bhabhi,
Munda kharka baitha
(I beat up a boy belonging to Preeto's family)

No comments:

Post a Comment